[Kde-extra-gear] Branch/tag summary and cleanup discussion

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Sun May 29 13:41:29 CEST 2005

Hello list,

I have a few questions. Please exuse me, I don't follow many KDE mailing lists
since I do not put much time any more in kdetv. I hope this hasn't been
discussed anywhere else already.

- What's the use of the stable tag? One can create a tarball of the current
stable versions of all keg apps. OK, agreed (don't know why one should do
that since all apps are released independently anyway, but we have been
through this discussion already). How do packagers get the right l10n files?
I would need to copy them to the tag, too.
-> tags/stable/extragear/multimedia/kdetv/src
   tags/stable/extragear/multimedia/kdetv/l10n
-> bad to create a package
-> bad to tag since l10n is sorted by language and not by application. Script?

- What's the use of the stable tag? Translations: Don't understand how this
should work. When I put the latest version of my app in the tags/stable dir,
it has already been released. The translators will be "too late" - I'd have
to put my app there _BEFORE_ I release it. So what I would need is a
"translate_me" tag - I already have that, at least sort of, when I announce
the string freeze on the i18n mailinglist. So how is this supposed to work?

- Is it desirable to put kdetv in the stable BRANCH when I don't work on the
branch any more (-> which makes it actually a tag). I don't follow any branch
model in my development, yes this brings me into trouble sometimes, but I
doubt it is of much use for me. So kdetv will only appear in TAGS dir, is
this OK?

- How do I recreate a stable tag on the next release? Delete old one and svn
copy? Or does svn copy erase the old one automatically?

- I'm currently a bit confused about branch/tags statements in the last mails,
maybe there was also some confusion for others. A TAG is _static_, a branch
will be _worked on_. Is the following summary correct:

- A STABLE tag is to keep the LATEST stable version of an app, e.g.
tags/stable/extragear/multimedia/kdetv (containing 0.8.7 ATM)
- All releases of an app have a copy in the tags dir. Which one?
   - tags/extragear/multimedia/kdetv/kdetv_0_8_7
   - tags/kdetv/kdetv_0_8_7
- Optionally, I could maintain a stable BRANCH
branches/stable/extragear/multimedia/kdetv which will only have bugfixes but
no new features.

Dirk