[Kde-extra-gear] sharing code between two extragear projects

Fred Schaettgen kde.sch at ttgen.net
Sun Jun 12 23:29:30 CEST 2005

Hi all,

kdebluetooth (in extragear/pim) contains - among other things - three tools to
exchange files with the OBEX protocol over bluetooth. The same protocol is
used for IrDA and over cable connections. Simone Gotti, who maintains
kdebluetooth with me, wants to add support for infrared and cable to the
existing OBEX tools, but then these tools shouldn't be tagged with
"bluetooth" anymore. This means we'd have to move them out of kdebluetooth
into.. let's say extragear/pim/obex or whatever.

These programs use two internal libraries of kdebluetooth:
- libqobex, a generic obex implementation for Qt by Mathias Froehlich
- libkbluetooth, which contains several helper classes used throughout
kdebluetooth.

libqobex could probably be used by other programs, as it is stable and we
don't expect to change much.
libkbluetooth on the other hand is pretty incomplete for a general purpose
bluetooth library. It only implements what is needed internally. So we very
much prefer to share this library only among the the obex tools and the rest
of kdebluetooth.
Is extragear/libs still the right place for such a library in that case?

Fred

--
Fred Schaettgen
kde.sch at ttgen.net