[Kde-extra-gear] backwards compatibility

Jeroen Wijnhout Jeroen.Wijnhout at kdemail.net
Tue Jan 27 14:44:44 CET 2004

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 13:58, Klas Kalass wrote:
> > I was wondering, how do apps add their application specific configure
> > checks now? Usually you would edit configure.in.in, but that would affect
> > all other apps in KEG. So the problem is not just about the minimal KDE
> > version, but it is really about adding application specific configure
> > checks.
> That is done in application specific configure.in.in files which reside in
> the app dir. K3B uses this feature heavily.

Ok, thanks.

> > The problem would be solved if all the autoconf and related files would
> > go in the application dir. So each application dir would have a
> > configure.in.in, Makefile.am.in and Makefile.cvs ( + linked admin dir).
> > The configure script in the KEG module dir will take care of calling the
> > configure scripts in each and every application dir.
>
> If the configure.in.in in the subdir works like expected that would be
> enough. We have scripts to extract an application dir and merge it with the
> necessary build system files for releases. No need to overcomplicate
> things.

I agree that my solution would be more complicated (and therefore not
desirable), but at least it would be completely trouble free.

Anyway, it appears the configure.in.in are concatenated (see email of Jesper
Pedersen). Of course we could try to remove duplicate entries in the
concatenated configure.in.in in a smart way, it is not a perfect solution,
but probably good enough for now.

best,
Jeroen
--