[Kde-extra-gear] backwards compatibility

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon Jan 26 17:30:37 CET 2004

On Monday 26 January 2004 02:27, Klas Kalass wrote:
> > > The problem is, that the entire module cannot be compiled if there was
> > > a MIN_CONFIG(3.1). The occasional developer should still be able to
> > > check out the stuff in the extragear modules and fix things.....
> >
> >    Requiring KDE 3.2 or higher is basically never going to be acceptable
> > for Kst.  If that happens, we will need to find alternate arrangements.
> > If individual apps can't specify which minimum KDE version they require,
> > maybe we need a different approach to partitioning the applications in
> > CVS.
>
> Is it unacceptable that the module as checked out requires it, or is it
> unacceptable that when doing releases, care must be taken to configure your
> applications release for the correct KDE version?

   Well changing the minimum required version when building packages isn't so
bad, but then it is 99% likely that all the developers will be using 3.2
which means that testing will not happen on 3.1.  It's also extremely
annoying for developers to have to edit the configure.in.in file, and for
users who run out of CVS to have to do the same.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/