[Kde-extra-gear] backwards compatibility

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon Jan 26 06:06:15 CET 2004

On Sunday 25 January 2004 13:57, Klas Kalass wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 25. Januar 2004 19:51 schrieb Jesper K. Pedersen:
> > Klas Kalass <klas.kalass at gmx.de> writes:
> > | Hi all,
> > |
> > | it was brought to my attention that there arises a problem with some
> > | applications requiring an up-to date version of KDE and thus needing
> > | MIN_CONFIG(3.2) in the configure file, unfortunately this means
> > | that everybody who wants to stay backwards compatible needs to make
> > | sure by themselves to change configure.in.in locally prior to a
> > | release. Otherwise your packages will require KDE 3.2.
> > |
> > | Any ideas how we can handle this more elegantly?
> >
> > If no other solutions was found, wouldn't it be better that those needing
> > 3.2 was doing the editing - if for nothing else, they would be the
> > persons who was mostly aware of the issues.
>
> The problem is, that the entire module cannot be compiled if there was a
> MIN_CONFIG(3.1). The occasional developer should still be able to check out
> the stuff in the extragear modules and fix things.....

   Requiring KDE 3.2 or higher is basically never going to be acceptable for
Kst.  If that happens, we will need to find alternate arrangements.  If
individual apps can't specify which minimum KDE version they require, maybe
we need a different approach to partitioning the applications in CVS.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/