[Kde-extra-gear] Re: release cycles

Aurelien Gateau kde-extra-gear@mail.kde.org
Tue, 04 Feb 2003 23:48:53 +0100

Klas Kalass wrote:

> What are your opinions on this? Does it sound good/bad? Or do you think we
> should keep the current procedure?

As far as I'm concerned, I'm fine with the current system. Trouble happened
because of a lack of policy and/or communication: some translators started
to work on applications which were not message frozen, resulting in a loss
of valuable time.

To avoid this, we need to make it clear to all translator teams that they
should not start to work on an Extra Gear application before it's frozen.
This also means that all Extra Gear developers must define and respect
message freeze periods before they release their apps, at least if they
ever want to get translations :-)

The website is a good way to keep translators aware of the application
status, especially with the brand new statistic system. Problem is, I guess
most translators haven't heard about it. We should advertise about it. It
would also be good to describe our "policy" on the website.

The other effective mean of communication is kde-i18n-doc@kde.org. Before
releasing Gwenview 0.16.0, I announced the start and stop of the message
freeze there. It worked quite well and I didn't get any angry replies to my
messages.

Regards,
  Aurélien