[Kde-extra-gear] Freezes in the Extra Gear?

Aurélien Gâteau kde-extra-gear@mail.kde.org
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 17:23:09 +0200

Klas Kalass wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> In the main modules there are the IMHO rather successfull feature and message
> freeze periods that help synchronizing all efforts.
>
> Since we would like to encourage other groups to work on the apps in the extra
> gear as well (mainly translators and documentation writers) I think those
> periods would be a great feature to have for each individual app. We could
> outline a template release cycle for one app and provide an overview for the
> timelines the app maintainers are aiming at (if they want to participate in
> this).
>
> So I have got 2 proposals.
>
> First I wanted to ask what you think about having an "official" release cycle
> for individual apps.
[snip]
> Good Idea? Useless?

Definitely a good idea. I do impose myself some message freeze before
releases so it would be good to have a way to notify others about it.

> That directly leads to a second thing: A website for the Extra Gear.
> That could host descriptions of the apps and links to the respective homepages
> (or host those homepages). Most importantly it would contain one or more
> "status pages" where everyone could have an overview of the stages the apps
> are in. That would allow a translator to judge if it is the right time to
> start work on the apps.
> Actually I think about one page with a timeline starting at the current date,
> showing all apps and their respective timelines and then a page for each app
> where there could be more detailed info.
>
> And a website would be a great place to outline the Extra Gear "Mission
> Statement" :)
> What do you think?

Sure, good idea #2 :-) this web site could also feature a link to the
mailing list, cause there's none right now :-) (not even on
http://kde.org/mailinglists.html)

Regards,
   Aurélien