[Kde-events] LinuxTag dot-story

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Wed Jun 4 23:49:27 CEST 2008

Hello,

Alexandra Leisse wrote:
> Roland and me put together a lovely dot-story to make you all happy.
> Please have a look at it, make suggestions and correct any possible
> mistake.

Cool. I enjoyed LinuxTag and meeting you both and the rest of the crew. :-)

I've mixed in English corrects below. I hope the formatting doesn't be
mangled in transit.

> *KDE at LinuxTag 2008 in Berlin*
>
> KDE was quite busy at LinuxTag this year. We showed presence with two

We were present with two

> booths - Amarok and KDE - and a whole bunch of talks within our own
> track. Additionall, Aaron Seigo gave a brilliant keynote on wednesday

Additionally

> and painted a vibrant vision of the desktop of the future in a mobile
> world, and the direction KDE is going to head to.

world, and the direction KDE is heading in.

> *Talks*
>
> Sebastian Kügler was track opener on Friday morning with an
> introduction to KDE 4.0. As Sebatian Trueg couldn't make it to Berlin
> Aaron jumped in again and talked about [the Plasma basics I think]. He
> was followed by Till Adam who presented the possibilities of Akonadi's
> storage concept and the future of KDE's Personal Information
> Management suite.
>
> After lunch Ellen Reitmeyer talked about usability concepts in KDE and
> the efforts the team undertakes to incorporate them with the desktop

the efforts the team undertakes to incorporate them into the desktop

> and the applications. Franz Keferboeck gave an overwiew over KOffice's

and applications. Franz Keferboeck gave an overview of KOffice's

> apps and introduced the audience to the new features KOffice 2 will

apps and introduced the audience to the new features that will come with
KOffice 2.

> come along with. The final applause went to Lydia Pintscher and Harald
> Sitter for their talk on KDE multimedia [and Amarok2].
>
> *Booths*
>
> Both booths were well manned and even better visited. The interested
> crowd asked zillions of questions and was very eager to see the newest
> and latest features, goodies and bling of KDE 4.1. Other visitors came

[choose newest or latest. perhaps a word other than 'bling' is more
suitable]

> by to share ideas or suggestions, and altogether they gave a wonderful

by to share ideas or suggestions, and altogether they gave wonderful

> feedback. The booth staff talked their heads off patiently and tried
> to answer all questions, satisfy everyone's curiosity and sometimes
> even find a solution to the users' problems that popped up once in a
> while. The booth staff was also supported most of the time by some of
> the developers who did a great job dealing with bug reports right at
> the booth.
>
> Many thanks to all who helped and supported us and make this LinuxTag possible.

I agree with Alex. It might be worth mentioning the community building
aspect and that this was the first time for some people to attend a KDE
booth, and certainly the first time that a lot of people had meet each
other face to face.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/