[Kde-events] OpenExpo Bern

Mario Fux foxman at lugo.ch
Wed Feb 20 22:42:42 CET 2008

Am Dienstag, 19. Februar 2008 12:23 schrieb Franz Keferböck:

Good morning as well

> > OpenExpo is only about three weeks from now and I suppose some things
> > still need to be done before.
> > This is my first attempt on these things, so maybe everything is
> > already well organized and I simply don' t know...
> >
> > These things are not quite clear to me:
> > What about accomodation? Do we try to find private places or shall I
> > book the Four Seasons? Is there a usual way of handling?
>
> Hi Alexandra,
>
> Sorry for me being off the net for soooo long, but i've been out for
> medical reasons for quite some time now.

I hope it's getting better.

> For one, i asked the organizers whether there is any recommendations
> hotel-wise or hostel wise or whatever. I hope to get an answer on that

I saw your email at the OpenExpo list (I'm just half an organizer ;-).

> soon and i will let you know. My intention is to book for all people
> involved and willing to take this standard booking, if you prefer the
> Four Seasons (and are willing to pay for it ;-) feel free to do so
> *gg* but let me know so i don't book a second room for you...

As I live in Switzerland (and am Swiss actually ;-) I could offer some
accommodations. But they are at least an hour away from Bern (by car or
train). But you could choose between a place near Zurich (near the airport)
or a place in Wallis. But as I said you (we) have to take the train or car
(if you have one) to go there.

> > What needs to be prepared for the booth? Do we have material to give
> > away? How does it get to Bern?
>
> I will be at CeBIT the last of its days where we will have the Booth
> box and all equipment needed for it. I will go there by car - and if
> that's OK with the rest of the crew i'll take it back home to austria
> and bring it to Bern, that saves a lot of shipping costs i guess.

Great. I could bring at least one laptop with e.g. an installed KDE
4.0.something. Then there are two Konqis here in my room (a small one and a
big one) but I think I'll bring only the small one. Then I could offer an
projector.

But as a disclaimer I won't be at the booth all the time.

> > What is the planned time schedule? When are we going to set up the
> > booth and all things? Who will be there to help?
>
> This was question #2 in my email to the organizers - i'll let you know

Afaik the schedule is not yet fixed but the time to set up the booth is
Tuesday evening (sorry I couldn't find the OpenExpo mail).

> > I suggested a screencast to show off KDE 4. I haven't yet found the
> > time to set up a VM to record anything, as Aaron suggested. I can't
> > promise that I will finally get to that. Do we want screencasts at
> > all? And is there anybody who might be able to provide any material?
> > Maybe we could use anything already existing...
>
> There's some videos of KDE 4 bling around, some of them where shown at
> the KDE 4.0 Release Event, i still got them on my box. It would be
> nice to have one screen mounted high just showing some of these
> videos, and yes, maybe additional screencasts. Not sure whether we'll
> be able to do so properly though, as we'll have a hard time mounting
> the small TFTs in the boothbox at a prominent spot not constantly
> couvered by people, and i don't know any swiss companies where we
> could rent something big(tm) for a good price.
>
> > That's it for now.
>
> Thanks for the questions, and sorry for me being absent for so long,
> but i was explicitly denied any access to computers and the internet
> in the last month...
>
> > Have a sunny day,
>
> heck, yay, it _is_ sunny :-)
>
> > Alexandra

That's it for the moment. Greets and see you in Switzerland
Mario