[Kde-events] Kicking off the KDE Event CoordinationTask Force

C.M.Lotion clairelotion at kde.nl
Wed Mar 14 00:12:12 CET 2007

On di maart 13 2007, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> So we've been able to get a couple of people on this list (Please feel
> free to invite those you think should be here and are not yet, this kind
> of stuff always takes some logistical effort).
> Let me just reiterate the purpose of this list:
>
> 	--------------------------------------
>
> 	|	Coordination of events.      |
>
> 	--------------------------------------
>
> There has been some discussion on kde-promo lately, and some people got
> the impression that the events issue is big enough that it would benefit
> from moving to a list of its own, this one.
>
> As I had blogged [v] yesterday, very roughly, we need to think about the
> following topics:
>
> 1 Events Calendar?
>
> 2 How can we organise merchandising
>
> 3 Boothbox and Logistics
>
> 4 Promotional Material
>
> I'll post short descriptions of the situation around those topics
> shortly in separate emails, so it's a bit easier to follow and discuss
> the topics you're interested in. As you'll see, we're certainly not
> starting things from scratch, but much rather try to do it
> well-coordinated so we don't run into the same problems time and time
> again.
>
> Ideally, someone claims coordination of those topics and collects ideas
> from others to make a plan how to improve the situation in those
> respective disciplines.
>
> [v] http://vizzzion.org/?blogentry=705
>
> Cheers,

Before the event takes place, we already need to reserve/take care of the
three following item. These items can change in composition and the
lead-time will vary, since we may be "out-of-stock" or may need new
designs. I have  been discussing the addition of a resource allocation
module / supply chain management tool for SKO with the dev team for
exactly this reason. They're having a look at it.  Please let me know
whether y'all like the idea. The attached mail also covers some other
details.

--
Claire Lotion
On za maart 10 2007, Luke Parry wrote:
> Hey there,
> We are making great progress on Spreadkde, but we came across this idea
> of creating a separate wiki page for events, or maybe even tasks.
Hi Luke,

First of all, thanks again for shaping up SKO, you guys are just
fantastic :-)

> This
> would give more freedom for outside users to collaborate with the main
> organisers of an event or task.

If I'm not mistaking, SKO is targeted at people that want to help spread
the use of KDE.

> However, it may be possible to create a something on Spreadkde (drupal),
> that can emulate features of a Wiki, which to me will bring too
> problems, the first would be weakening the structure of Spreadkde - we
> don't want to offer a whole supermarket of features, that are poor
> quality. Second, we want to make this optional for organisers to help
> them improve the organisation of an event.

I agree with you on the quality vs. quantity consideration. However, I
don't think we will need a full-fledged event wiki. During the
organisation of previous events, I have noticed that the main channels and
type of communication are:
- e-mail, irc, phone and real-life meetings for discussions
- wiki and e-mail for general event and contact information, decisions and
report
- the Dot for a report
- and I hope, the handbook on SKO ;-)

Things that I think are lacking (off-the-shelf event infrastructure):
- resource allocation system similar to the feature in for example Lotus
Notes/Domino, Kolab and eGroupware, for when you invite people to a
meeting and can check the availability of resources and reserve them
(room/booth, projector, boothbox, printed material such as flyers,
merchandise, etc.)
- online storage of (information about) these resources, e.g. customised
flyers, businesscards
- contact information of event organisers and other relevant parties on a
private page, as I can imagine people not wanting their phone numbers and
perhaps other details required for a certain event on a public webpage
- dedicated "site" per event on (current) SKO, where all relevant event
information is gathered from start to end, which may render event
organisation wiki pages obsolete
- if this still isn't enough, a public "scratchpad" page at the event site
on SKO would probably offer enough flexibility, especially if it would
support real-time collaborative editing

I realise that this may be a lot of work for you guys to investigate and
implement, and that event organisers also need to do their homework and
reach a consensus.

> In the past there was a suggestion for porting kde wiki to media wiki,
> which is now used on Techbase. As a reminder, I don't believe using
> Techbase is a solution - it is of course targetted on the technical side
> of KDE, and isn't as informal like the current state of wiki.kde.org,
> that has a different attitude.
>
> Whether or not wiki.kde.org has no future, I think having a general
> purpose wiki, would give greater freedom to other projects, to note down
> ideas, and let people expand on them freely.
>
> In the end it may come down to just using Drupal's Features in Spreadkde
> - such as a separate space using Handbooks (if you know what I mean...)
> , but I would be intrested if something could develop on a general
> purpose Wiki for KDE, that could possibly link with Spreadkde in the
> later future.

Sounds good, although it may not be necessary to put much effort in
integrating with the wiki for SKO. The wiki seems to be a public
scratchpad or pad of sticky notes for all KDE teams, contributors, and
anonymous visitors.

About a week ago, I was thinking about using Pentabarf for organising the
KOffice meeting, but I prefer sticking to SKO/Drupal. Nevertheless, it may
be of interest to you from a technical point of view.

Regards,

Claire

--
Claire Lotion