[Kde-events] FAQ: KDE Promotion

Torsten Rahn tackat@suse.de
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:10:12 +0100

KDE-PROMO FAQ

I.) GENERAL
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

1.) I want to help promoting KDE. How do I get involved?

MAILINGLISTS:

Basically there are two KDE related mailinglists of interest:

KDE-PROMO
Archive: http://lists.kde.org/?l=3Dkde-promo&r=3D1&w=3D2

KDE-EVENTS
Archive: http://lists.kde.org/?l=3Dkde-events&r=3D1&w=3D2

Here's how to subscribe:

IRC

Server irc.kde.org #kde, #kde-events, #kde-promo

2.) For promotion purposes I need to download some KDE related files. Whe=
re do=20
I get these?

CLIPART

http://www.kde.org/clipart.html
http://www.kde.org/img/logos/kdeshirt_l.jpg

BROCHURES

The latest postscript-version of one of our brochures can be found here

http://devel-home.kde.org/~tackat/kdepromo/brochures/final2706c.zip

Sources are available right here:

http://devel-home.kde.org/~tackat/kdepromo/brochures/

We still have about 3000 printed brochures left. Send an e-mail to=20
tackat@kde.org if you want to get some of them (The amount of brochures t=
hat=20
you can receive depends on the importance of the purpose, the shipping co=
sts=20
and on your trustworthiness).

POSTER

http://devel-home.kde.org/~tackat/kdepromo/posters/

Especially we'd like to recommend:

http://devel-home.kde.org/~tackat/kdepromo/posters/kdeposter1.tif
http://devel-home.kde.org/~tackat/kdepromo/posters/kdeposter2.tif

You might also want to give the wallpaper section on http://www.kde-look.=
org a=20
try.

NAMETAGS

http://devel-home.kde.org/~tackat/kdepromo/nametags/

3.) Where do I find merchandising stuff (i.e. KDE t-shirts, stuffed Konqi=
s,=20
etc.)?

http://www.kde.org/kde-stuff.html

II.) Events
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

1.) Who will set up the booth for me?

In doubt it's just you. To find out more just read

http://www.kde.org/events.html

In addition writing an e-mail to our mailing-list
kde-events@kde.org might help to clear up things.

2.) I will have expenses while setting up the booth. Who will pay these?

Generally there do exist two organisations which _might_ do this.
Send an e-mail to one of the contacts listed below. In that e-mail you
have to make a detailed description of the purpose for the money
you are asking for.

A) KDE LEAGUE

The KDE League is a group of industry leaders and KDE developers focused =
on=20
facilitating the promotion, distribution, and development of KDE. The Lea=
gue=20
will focus on promoting the use of the advanced Open Source desktop=20
alternative by enterprises and individuals and on promoting the developme=
nt=20
of KDE software by third-party developers.

Homepage: http://www.kdeleague.org
Contact: Andreas Pour <pour@kde.org>

B) KDE E.V.

KDE e.V. is a non-profit legal entity (a "corporation") that can act in t=
he=20
interests of KDE as well as maintain a bank account. It was originally=20
founded as a means for KDE to enter into a legal agreement with Troll Tec=
h=20
with the FreeQt Foundation. It has since taken on a further role as a pla=
ce=20
were donated monies could be accepted and distributed.

See also:
http://www.kde.de/support.php
http://www.kde.org/kde-two/
http://www.kde.de/helping.php
Contact: Mirko Boehm <mirko@kde.org>

3.) I will also have travel/hotel-costs. Who will pay these?

In general the organisations listed above will only pay a limited number =
of=20
travels. This has to be decided case by case. Contact the people above to=
=20
find out if you can expect to get your travel costs reimbursed.

If the coordinators of an event invite you for a talk then these coordina=
tors=20
should also reimburse your travel/hotel costs

4.) Where can I get T-Shirts/brochures/etc.

See sections I.2 and I.3 of this document

5.) Where can I get CD's?

Well - on one hand CD's are one of the things people will be very much as=
king=20
for. On the other hand it makes basically no sense to print these for var=
ious=20
reasons:

- no recent KDE-release including all binaries for all distributions will=
 fit=20
on one CD (and that would be the only fair version).
- Creating a decent amount of CD's would cost A LOT. On the other hand on=
e=20
can't make sure to get rid of all of them (one would have to sell them fo=
r a
 certain non-profit-amount - while on the other hand there do exist a lot=
 of=20
expos where you aren't allowed to sell anything).
- In average KDE-releases are up to date for a period of about 4 months. =
So=20
one would have to:
 * create the CD's within that period
 * transfer the CD's to the event
 * sell all of them
That's almost impossible.

So in case visitors at the booth raise the question "Where can I get CD's=
=20
including the latest KDE release" the best answer is probably "At the boo=
th=20
of your favourite distributor" pointing out that all major distributions =
are=20
shipping the latest and greatest KDE.

III. THIS FAQ

1.) How can I improve this FAQ?