[kde-embedded] KDE keeps taking steps towards embedded

Agustin Benito (toscalix) abenito at kde.org
Wed Feb 13 18:51:15 GMT 2019

Hi all,

FOSDEM 2019 represented a clear step forward in our strategy to open
KDE to embedded and show the potential our software and our community
have in this space..

The KDE booth was packed with the following demos/boards:
* Risc-V board + 7" display + Yocto + Plasma Mobile.
* RPi3 + RPi 7" display + Yocto + Plasma Mobile
* Google Nexus Phone with Plasma Mobile + customization for the device
+ basic apps
* Rockchip board + a big screen + Plasma showing a full desktop experience.
* PineBook laptop + Plasma showing a full desktop experience.
* KDE Slimbook with KDE Neon showing a full desktop experience.

I hope I did not forget anything.

The next stop will be Embedded World. Let's see if we can show in
coming events an improved experience using a RPI3, Yocto and Plasma
Mobile. The fact that people outside our community (Risc-V) is using
Plasma Mobile including the work done by KDE devs on Yocto in their
showcases is a sign that we might be moving in the right direction.

Please check some of the FOSDEM reports:
* KDE news:
   * https://dot.kde.org/2019/01/30/come-home-kde-fosdem-2019
* Blog posts:
   * https://jriddell.org/2019/02/07/kde-at-fosdem-2019/