[kde-embedded] KDE automotive: update

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Wed Feb 21 17:29:08 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 21 February 2018 16:49:24 CET Agustin Benito (toscalix) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 4:20 PM, Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:
> > Thanks Agustin, small updates inline below.
> >
> > On Wednesday, 21 February 2018 14:46:48 CET Agustin Benito (toscalix)
> >
> > wrote:
> > > ## KF5 in Yocto: progress
> > >
> > > This was the progress done in KDE Frameworks support in Yocto up to
> >
> > January
> >
> > > 2018.
> > >
> > > - The KF5 layer covers 71 (of 76) frameworks and is at version 5.42.0
> >
> > <5420>
> >
> > > now. There are 10 pending patches and one major known issue
> > > (cross-compilation support for kapckagetool5).
> >
> > At 5.43.0 and down to 4 pending patches by now.
> >
> > > - KF5 updates work reasonably well, since 5.36 we got updates for every
> > > KF5 release in a timely manner, thanks to automation, avoiding patches
> > > and sufficiently generic file patterns in the recipes. Important to make
> > > this effort sustainable.
> > > - The Plasma layer covers 19 (of 44) modules so far and is now barely
> >
> > able
> >
> > > to show something vaguely resembling Plasma Mobile on Virgil/QEmu
> >
> > (haven't
> >
> > > tried real hardware yet), see attached screenshot.
> >
> > At 5.12.1 now, covering 21 modules and having the Plasma Mobile shell
> > actually
> > functional thanks to Bhushan's help :)
>
> Can it be shown in an informal meeting? In a laptop? In a RPi3 maybe?

I don't have it on a real device yet, and it's just the shell, no
applications, which makes this fairly boring so far. So for next week I think
that's too ambitious and wouldn't make the best impression probably in this
state.

The next steps are making this easier to replicate and start, run on real
hardware and add a few applications, then we'd be at something that anyone
could easily demonstrate I think.

Regards,
Volker