LabPlot date import format

Alexander Semke alexander.semke at web.de
Tue Jan 12 19:27:33 GMT 2021

Hi Bill,

On Montag, 11. Januar 2021 20:47:05 CET Bill Gee wrote:
> Fedora 33, LabPlot 2.7.0
> [...]
>
> I create a project, then add a spreadsheet to the project.  Then I import to
> the spreadsheet from the CSV file.  In the import screen I specify the date
> format as "MM/dd/yyyy mm:hh:ss".  LabPlot seems to completely ignore the
> format I give it, as evidenced by the dates on the graph.
The DateTime values seem are compeltely off on your screenshot... We improved
the support for DateTime in 2.8 greatly and I cannot reproduce this in 2.8,
please see the attached export of the worksheet. I'm also attaching the
project file in case you want to check it in 2.8 once you have this version.

> I also try
> changing the format in the definition of the x-axis, but it has no apparent
> effect.  The drop-down boxes for both screens does not contain a date
> format that will work.
> Is there a way to tell LabPlot what the format of the date string is?
The format of the axis labels can be changed in the properties explorer. Click
on the axis and go to the tab "Labels" and select the format you want to have.
In your case you most probably want to get rid of the common "MM/dd/yyyy"-
prefix. So, you just specify "hh:mm:ss" instead of the pre-selected "MM/dd/
yyyy hh:mm:ss" format that is taken over from the original formt the data was
imported with. The screenshot of the properties explorer where you see these
settings is also attached.

Here I'm also not quite sure how much of this was already working in 2.7.
Ideally we get 2.8 running in Fedora. I contacted the package maintainer but
unfortunately didn't get any reply yet :-(

Is it the only file with 17569 rows that you need to plot now or do you have
many such files? If it's the only file and you only need those two plots for
the temperature and for the air pressure, I can quickly produce the plots for
you. Maybe reach out to me directly for this and we can quickly finalize this.
In parallel I'll try to find somebody else at Fedora who can help with
packaging of LabPlot.

Best Regards,
Alexander