D29549: Updates to SkyPoint to improve positions

Chris Rowland noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat May 9 09:59:04 BST 2020

chrisrowland created this revision.
Herald added a project: KDE Edu.
Herald added a subscriber: kde-edu.
chrisrowland requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  Many places in Kstars abd EKOS us precession only to change J2000 catalogue
  coordinates to the observed position, omitting nutuation and aberration.
  Also the conversion from an observed position to a J2000 catalogue
  position was implemented incorrectly, aberration and nutauion were not being removed.

  This updates SkyPoint to correct these and adds unit tests to check them.
  I also found that the SkyPoint aberration and nutation corrections gave
  incorrect results and these have been replaced by the libnova corrections
  which testing show are better.  I am using SOFA to generate test positions.

  The changes to SkyPoint have been used to implement coordinate conversions
  correctly in KStars and EKOS, by replacing precession conversion with
  apparentCoord() and CatalogueCoord() as appropriate.

TEST PLAN
  Run the test_skypoint test.  At present two tests fail by a small amount for
  declinations close to 90.

  Review the changes. I don't think I've made a change which isn't required but
  may have missed some.

  Build and test. For example the details dialog should now give a J2000
  position that matches the J2000 positionin the image header. Make sure that
  you have an up to date version if INDI. I had to update that as well.

REPOSITORY
  R321 KStars

BRANCH
  SkyPoint_changes (branched from master)