D28935: Reduce memory use when zooming in fitsviewer

Hy Murveit noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Apr 21 07:08:16 BST 2020

murveit added a comment.

  Jasem, as requested, I added several lines in the constructor to see if the amount of physical memory is known, and if so, I created max zoom values based on that. See lines 154-177 in fitsview.cpp. Could have gone further and made it a function of the image W*H*C and physical memory, but honestly I'm not sure that's a good idea. Let me know if you disagree and if so, how much zoom for how much physcial memory and image size. Now, you can zoom up to 600% if you have 16Gb of memory. On my 32Gb MacbookPro, this is now limited by CPU more than memory. Tested on 32Gb Mac/Catalina (where the limit is 600%) and on Raspbian RPi4 4Gb (where the limit is 300%).  According to online doc, some systems may not reveal the amount of physical memory. In that case the limit should be 300%.

REPOSITORY
  R321 KStars