D18764: Show upper & lowercase letters in KLettres

David Precious noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Feb 5 17:17:42 GMT 2019

bigpresh created this revision.
Herald added a project: KDE Edu.
Herald edited subscribers, added: kde-edu; removed: KDE Edu.
bigpresh requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  I've started using KLettres to help teach my little boy to recognise letters and associate their sounds, and to find them on the keyboard, and I'm finding KLettres most useful - so thank you!

  One point I notice that makes it a little tricky is the difference between the upper-case letter displayed, and the lower-case version on the kid-friendly keyboard I got him (in hindsight, I kinda wish I'd got an alternative model which has both upper and lowercase labels!)

  I think it'd be a really useful if KLettres displayed both the upper and lowercase version of the letter, e.g. "A / a" - both to teach the association that both of those are the same letter, even though they look a bit different, and also to make it easier to match with the label on the keyboard.

  What do you think?  I'm mostly a backend Perl guy at heart, so I'm sure there's a cleaner/better way to do it than what I've done, but I've tested it and it does work.

  The only potential sticking point I can see is that for some writing systems, upper/lower case might not make sense for certain scripts - Arabic/Hebrew etc, as far as I'm aware, don't really have a concept of capital letters.  That said, I don't think any such unicameral scripts are currently supported - but I've made it only append the lowercase version if toLower() returned  something different, so it should be safe if any are added in future.

REPOSITORY
  R333 KLettres

AFFECTED FILES
  src/klettresview.cpp