Seeking mentorship to work on ROCS project during SOK 2020

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Mon Dec 30 18:25:02 GMT 2019

On Monday, 23 December 2019 22:49:48 CET Hitesh Sagtani wrote:
> When generating a graph it goes out of the canvas. and also if there is a
> graph on the canvas and user again generates a graph it often overlaps with
> the graph already on the canvas.

In master the graph is moved onto the canvas, **but** because the circles
(nodes) have a non-zero radius **and** the generator doesn't know what kind of
radius is used to draw the circles, it doesn't move the nodes to strictly-
positive locations such that the radius of the drawn circle would fall inside
the canvas. That's a possible adaptation for the massage-to-canvas function,
but would introduce knowing something about rendering (or alternately, the
renderer should massage a graph if it would be drawn badly).

As for generated graphs overlapping .. that's a different issue. I don't have
an intuition for what would make the most sense there -- graphs *may* overlap.
Perhaps coloring each newly-generated graph differently, or making it easy to
select-all-connected-nodes or a "re-layout nicely" routine would help.

[ade]