D25645: New UI to allow the user to modify the stretch being used.

Hy Murveit noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Dec 2 03:40:58 GMT 2019

murveit added a comment.

  Rob, thanks for all the suggestions and questions. Let me respond before I make any code changes.

  - One way to alleviate some confusion between auto and stretch would be to have the "stretch" button enable/disable all the other controls, then one can get a visual cue that the stretch is gone other than just a checkbox. The controls can still remember their values, but you can't change them until you enable stretch.

  I'll try and code that up. Should be easy assuming all the input elements have a disable method.

  - Another thing that could help would be to have the controls be at an absolute position and hitting auto will visually make them go to that spot in the slider. Also moving them to a spot will make the slider stay at that spot. I understand the utility of having the slider work the way you have done it for more dynamic control, but it is a little disconcerting at first to move the slider, have it change the image as you go, and then it snaps back to center when you let go.

  Sorry I don't really understand your suggestion fully.  I do think, though, that if we went to absolute sliders, we'd need a way to change to the scale, like in PI's histogram transform, and the user interface will get more complex as it is there. Honestly I think that UI is hard to understand. I sort of like the simplicity of this, and would like to push back a little on changing this as I think people will get used to it, but would give in, of course, if you all felt strongly about it. It's possible that we'd have more room for absolute sliders if we got rid of highlights, but I started with an absolute slider, and wound up often playing with very small slider moves near the edge of the slider, which wasn't good.

  - oh related to what I just said, turning on "auto" does not change the values on the sliders. is it supposed to?

  When you hit auto, it auto-computes the stretch parameters given the algorithm pointed to in the code (see sections 8.5.6 and 8.5.7 in http://pixinsight.com/doc/docs/XISF-1.0-spec/XISF-1.0-spec.html). When you load an image with stretch enabled, it does the same thing, so you may be recomputing the same same parameters. If you enable stretch with auto, then manually change the settings by moving . slider, then hit check auto again, you should see the numbers change. Note, the slider handles are alway set to the middle of the slider, so that will not move.

  - What will be done with the fits filters under the view menu?

  I really am looking for you guys for guidance. I never used those filters, so from my point-of-view, I'd get rid of them. I hesitated to do that, since I'm not as experienced with this software. BTW, I'd add the histogram controls to your suggestion.

REPOSITORY
  R321 KStars