Sonification of KmPlot?

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sun Apr 28 17:08:23 BST 2019

неділя, 28 квітня 2019 р. 18:40:27 EEST Rich Morin написано:
> > On Apr 27, 2019, at 23:44, Yuri Chornoivan <yurchor at ukr.net> wrote:
> >
> > The main purpose of KmPlot is plotting the curve and allowing its user to
> > analyze it in the basic level (roots, extrema, tangent line, derivatives
> > and integral). The status bar contains all important data without the
> > need to analyze thousands of raw numbers.
>
> To clarify, I'm not suggesting that most blind users would want to examine
> files of coordinates, though some might.  My interest is in having the data
> available so that another program could represent the data sonically.
>
> One typical way this sort of thing is done is to perform a scan along the X
> axis, mapping the Y axis onto frequency.  So, the user hears a tone whose
> pitch goes up and down during the scan.  I'm not at all sure how other data
> (e.g., tangent line) should be represented, but having this sort of data
> available in a structured form might allow someone to play around.
>
> -r

For me, it looks like KmPlot is absolutely suboptimal for such kind of tasks.

Such sonification can be easily made with some CAE application like Scilab or
Octave. Even Python with NumPy can be handful to do such things, but not
KmPlot.

KDE has other good software for data analysis of this kind (Kst and LabPlot).
These applications are not just advanced plotters (more advanced than KmPlot).
They can analyze data, transform them and write the results into files.

KmPlot is absolutely not of that kind. It takes the equation and shows
*visual* results. It can analyze data a bit or save them as a figure. It can
be controlled through DBus (Kst and LabPlot can be controlled too) but it just
not tailored as a computational mill of any kind.

Sorry. :'(

Best regards,
Yuri