Proposal discussion for Cantor: Python 3 as the only backend officially supported

Filipe Saraiva filipe at kde.org
Tue Jan 23 00:18:07 UTC 2018

Em 09-01-2018 20:09, Albert Astals Cid escreveu:
> The problem here is defining "isn't working", let's give an example of Okular,
> we have support for the xps format, it's not perfect, but it gives people
> something they may be able to use without rebooting into windows.
>
> So without knowing anything about the status of the non-python3 backends, how
> useful are they?
>
> Are they usable but have bugs?

Some of them are usable, other not. In general it is possible the
communication between Cantor and the programming language supported by
the backend, but for some of them there are strange and unexpected
behaviours. In other thread here in the list we can see it happening.

> If they are usable but have bugs, i would suggest to leave them in and when
> there is a bug, if you feel you don't really care enough, comment something
> along the lines of "This backend is unmaintained but it is still enabled
> because some people use it, if you want to help improve it, please get in
> contact". Optionally having a messagebox in the app saying something similar.
>
> If they are totally broken, i would still suggest to leave the code in the
> app, but maybe hidden behind a compile switch, so it's easier to bring it back
> when it gets enough quality.

Thanks for your suggestions;

--
Filipe Saraiva