Cantor 17.12 crashes working with R and Sage backends and is very slow with some other ones on Arch Linux.

Alexander Semke alexander.semke at web.de
Sat Jan 13 10:32:23 UTC 2018

Hello Fernando,

thank you for your warm words about KDE and Cantor :-)

The connection to and the initialization of a backend process takes some
time. The times are different for different backends.
Your observations about the long evaluation times for the first
expression and almost instant evaluation of the subsequent expressions
is because of the recent improvement that was done in 17.12. Previously,
the initialization was done during the creation of a new session.
So, when opening a project file the user had to wait until the
initialization is done even in cases where he/she doesn't plan to modify
the worksheet at all.
This was changed. The creation of a new session or opening of saved
project files is much faster now and the initialization of the backend
process is
postponed to the point when the user really asks Cantor to evaluate
something.

The recommended versions for R and Sage are missing, yes. But those are
minor issues compared to the crashes you have. Let's have a look at them
first.
Which versions of Maxima and Sage are you using? Any chance to install
the debuginfo package for Cantor and to try again? Without the debug symbols
the crash dumps are not really useful...

Connection to R is broken, the fix for this is "work in progress" at the
moment.

Regards,
Alexander