Proposal discussion for Cantor: Python 3 as the only backend officially supported

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Jan 9 13:41:54 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 7:10 PM, Filipe Saraiva <filipe at kde.org> wrote:
> Hello gearheads,
>
> Yesterday I wrote a post in my blog about a proposal to Cantor.
> Currently, Cantor has 11 backends but most of them are not maintained.
> The consequence is several backends are broken or not working as
> expected. I waste a lot of time trying to fix backends I don't use, and
> I don't have time to work in new features for Cantor itself.
>
> My proposal is officially maintain only Python 3 backend, move the other
> backends to a community/third-party repository and, if someone cares
> about them, release some of them as extensions in KDE Store.
>
> This way I can work better with Cantor.
>
> Just to say, I tried in past solve it inviting developers to be
> co-maintainers of the backends, but it does not work as I expected.
>
> I would like to present it to KDE community and hear you.
>
> The post with more information is in http://blog.filipesaraiva.info/?p=1897

I'm not sure it's a great idea. If you want Cantor to be python-only
that's one thing, but moving the maintainership elsewhere will
probably make contributions just harder.

Also note that we can't have compiled binaries distributed reliably
under the store.kde.org.

My recommendation is to take QA more seriously by including proper
tests on the several backends and running them instead of ditching
everyone's contributions. But of course, if something isn't working,
it should not be released.

Aleix