Farewell Pairs

Marco Calignano marco.calignano at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 08:24:14 UTC 2015

Hi,

Pairs is a KDE4 application, and I thought would also kept in all the
Kubuntu releases that also support KDE4.
If it doesn't make any problem (and I think is not) would be really cool to
have the last Long Term support (16.04) with KDE4 and Pairs.
I could still intall that on the Kindergarten project (since the kid
already know the game) and gradually introduce GCompris.
Is that feasable or is it a big problem?

Cheers
Marco

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 2:10 AM, Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net>
wrote:

> Le 20/03/2015 00:36, Aleix Pol a écrit :
> > On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>
> wrote:
> >> El Dimecres, 18 de març de 2015, a les 11:42:37, Marco Calignano va
> escriure:
> be
> of

> >> Are you effectively asking to not release Pairs anymore with the next
> KDE
> >> Applications release?
> >>
> >> What does the rest of people think?
> >>
> >> If so you should tell the release team.
> > My opinion is that is useless to keep Pairs while pushing GCompris.
> >
> > We had many ideas for Pairs and with more or less effort we can deploy
> > them on GCompris, pushing Pairs forward could happen, but would also
> > be frustrating. I think it's a good thing that we unite and make teams
> > rather than splitting efforts.
> >
> > This is the last feature/bugfix commit I found [1]. There was a
> > partial effort to port it by Marco but it never materialized. I
> > understand it's better to focus the few spare time Marco and I have
> > into improving GCompris, even if a little bit, rather than bodging a
> > Pairs port.
> >
> > Regarding the release, I'd say it's fine if it is released with 15.04,
> > on the kde4 version, mostly because now it's too late to remove it
> > anyway. If there's important bug reports I can take care about them.
> >
> > What do the rest think?
> >
> Hi,
>
> On the GCompris side we are pleased to hear that. It is true that it is
> easier to maintain an activity in GCompris than a separate application.
>
> We already have a 'pair' activity that we call 'memory'. It has many
> data sets, images, numbers, maths, and others and we have an 'AI' mode
> to play against Tux. Some 'pair' level could be easily ported to GCompris.
>
> The user interface is different as we do not have a 'pair' menu entry.
> We have sections and in each one there maybe an appropriate 'pair'
> activity.  I hope this is not an issue.
>
> Bruno.

Life is short, so learn from your mistakes
And stand behind, the choices that you make

Face each day with both eyes open wide
And try to give don't keep it all inside

                                               Dream Theater