Global learning XPRIZE

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Wed Oct 1 10:45:04 UTC 2014

Le 23/09/2014 13:30, Aleix Pol a écrit :
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM, Bruno Coudoin
> <bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net <mailto:bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I have just been informed that the famous XPRIZE organization
>     support projects that
>     develops learning solutions to empower children and communities around
>     the world:
>     http://learning.xprize.org/about/overview
>
>     While we could think GCompris is a good candidate, in the XPRIZE
>     solution they are much more ambitious than I have been in
>     requiring that
>     "the learning solutions developed by this prize will enable a child to
>     learn autonomously".
>
>     I have always though GCompris has a tool to help a teacher or a
>     parent,
>     not as an autonomous software. Not sure what happens when you leave
>     children with GCompris and no other guidance. For sure as today,
>     this is
>     far from enough to learn reading.
>
>     Not sure on the KDE-EDU side if there is a project that could be a
>     good candidate to XPRIZE.
>      Anyway, the interesting part is that there is money and XPRIZE
>     requires the project to be open source. The winner will be free
>     educational software.
>
>     Bruno
>

> Hi Bruno,
> Well this looks huge, I'm sure different organizations will try to
> reach to this prize.
>
> In general, I'd say that KDE Edu would suffer from the same problems
> GCompris does, still that said, maybe it would be interesting if we
> see KDE Edu being able to be a candidate in the challenge?

Hi,

Again on the XPRIZE topic.

I made some more study and looked in more detail the guidelines and
found out that they require the project to be licensed under the Apache
Software License 2. The post bellow is my request to get XPRIZE explain
their choice:
http://forum.xprize.org/t/rational-behind-exclusion-of-copyleft-software/559

Concerning GCompris, this would means starting from scratch (again!) and
stop using Qt. I don't feel the motivation to go this way.

Bruno.