Writing Language App with well specified objectives.

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Sat Mar 29 17:10:08 UTC 2014

Hi Avinash,

Sorry for not replying earlier, it's been a pretty full week...  Anyway,
please find comments inside.

	-Inge

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 03:50:55 Avinash Zebisky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have narrowed the idea of KHandWrite Application( app for learning
> alphabets of foreign language).
>

> *Motivation*
>

> It's a noted fact that Kde-Edu has great products for learning language be
> it reading(Parley), pronunciation(Artikulate) or typing
> alphabets(KLetters). But it doesn't have any application which will help
> users to write the scripts of a new language. And by learning to write the
> script I mean the font/letters that are taught in schools.
>
> Therefore, KHandWrite is a project primarily focused on writing the scripts
> of a new language. Now this idea's scope is vast and large. Hence, it is
> very much required to reduce the scope to get quick and better results.
>
> Hence, for the beginning I'll stick with KHandWrite which teaches children
> English alphabets.

Obviously I like this a lot since I was part of the discussion that brought
out this idea to begin with.  And I really applaud your initiative.  I would
be just a *liiiittle* more happy if you didn't call it K<Something> since we
are trying to retire that naming convention.  But it's your program and it's a
small matter anyway so I won't say anything more about it.

> *Target Age Group:- * 2-10 years old children

This is the only thing that I really don't agree with. And the reason for that
is that kids have good resources in their schools to help them write. But
adults don't have the same help when learning a new language.

> *Devices:- *Tablets/Mobiles
>
> *Input Method:-  *Touch-pad, Touch-screen, Pen/Stylus input

Agreed.  The Samsung style tablet with a pen is probably the best device type
for this type of learning.

> *Utility:- *Interactive method to teach children how to write. The
> alphabets will follow school's standard font.

I think that best is perhaps if we can find fonts that resemble handwriting.
in some cases we might have to even design our own fonts for this.  But that's
definitely not step 1 (of course).

> *Design of UI*
>
> [deleted]

Very cool ideas.  I am not so sure about the bitmap based approach but the
rest seem well thought out. If you manage to just implement one of the
training methods (e.g. the one you outline in A.png) this will be a very cool
program - and actually quite unique as far as I know.

I am going to try to help you as much as I can but unfortunately I don't know
much about QML or Qt Quick which you will probably have to use for the touch
based UI.

Did you think anything about file format and tools to create the lessons?

	-Inge