Replacing file-system by database in KStars

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Jan 28 20:54:09 UTC 2014

El Dimarts, 28 de gener de 2014, a les 08:22:08, Vijay Dhameliya va escriure:
> Hi guys,
>
> Currently when KStars is launched, it reads data corresponding to different
> Skyobject from respective file in loaddata() methods. And I have tracked
> out all the classes where we are loading data by reading file.
>
> I researched bit on the topic and I found that loading data from database
> is always much better option then doing same from file.
>
> If we replace file system with QSql following are the Pros:
>
> 1) We will not have to ship so many files with Kstars
> 3) Code for load methods will be reduced in size
>
> Cons:
> 1) I will have to move all data from files into database by temporary
> methods
>
> So I am planning to start coding to replace file system by database on my
> local branch.
>
> Can you please give your views and suggestion regarding the same ? I am
> sure that It will be very helpful to me. :)

I'm not a KStars devel, but I don't really see any benefit in having stuff
*shipped* as a SQL database, it'll be harder to maintain, to edit, to interact
with (i.e. extract text for i18n).

>From a end user point of view, is the current loading code that slow? Because
if we are speaking of a 200ms vs 100ms change I don't see the need in redoing
all the code with the bugs it may introduce.

Cheers,
  Albert