LabPlot+Cantor for GSOC 2014?

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Mon Feb 24 20:24:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 8:41 AM, Alexander Semke <Alexander.Semke at web.de> wrote:
>> And how to
>> make a proposal for GSoC 2014, I wish you will be available for mentoring
>> me on the project.
> The project proposals are already made. I don't know how the students should
> apply for them. I also was already asked by another student who is interested
> in working on labplot. At the moment I don't know when the decision will be
> made about which projects proposals and students will get Google's support.
> Maybe Lydia can say here something.

Each student has to write an application for a particular idea before
the application deadline. The mentors and the rest of the community
are supposed to help them with comments towards writing a great
proposal. After the deadline all mentors go through the proposals and
rate them and select the ones they wish to mentor. At the end the
admin team allocates the slots we have been granted from Google based
on those wishes, ratings and comments as well as past experience with
the mentor.
It is fine to have several students apply for the same idea. But if
you have several good students applying for the same it might make
sense to ask one of them to look at another idea.
First-year mentors do not get more than one student in KDE unless
there is a really really good reason to break this rule.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Lydia

KDE e.V. Board of Directors / KDE Community Working Group
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org