Is audio a part of KWordQuiz or Parley?

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Tue Dec 9 15:55:57 UTC 2014

On Monday, December 08, 2014 04:12:05 PM PHOEBE SCHMIDT wrote:
> I may be helping some native American elementary students who live on a
> pueblo in New Mexico.  The idea here is to create word drills for their own
> native language, Tiwa.
>
> Do either of these programs support audio?  Tiwa has “sung” tones, so I
> should imagine audio would help a lot.  I’d have access to native speakers
> to help me create audio files.
>
> TIA, Phoebe

Hi Phoebe,

Yes, Parley can attach sound files to every word and play them during practice.
I haven't looked, but I don't think that KWordQuiz can do that. However, none
of them is designed specifically for training pronounciation.

If that is what you are after then you should take a closer look at
Artikulate[1][2][3] which *is* specifically designed for this type of training.
Artikulate is not released yet, but it works and should be possible to adapt
to your needs even earlier if you can build it yourself or know somebody who
can do it for you.

Which platforms are you running on?  Windows? OSX? Linux?

	-Inge

[1] https://edu.kde.org/applications/language/artikulate/
[2] https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Edu/Artikulate
[3] https://userbase.kde.org/Artikulate/Beginning