The next file format

Andreas Xavier andxav at zoho.com
Wed Aug 27 19:31:34 UTC 2014

---- On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 16:54:30 -0700 Bruno Coudoin
 wrote ----

>Le 26/08/2014 21:51, Andreas Xavier a écrit :
>> Hello Bruno,
>>
>> It looks like gcompris is looking for a common method to store
>> semantically disparate resources to provide a uniform interface to
>> the activities resources and common distribution. Judging only
>> from the resources that are designated qrc:/location, you will be
>> storing activity backgrounds and source code files etc.

>Well, what you saw are the activity themselves. Each one is bundled in
>an rcc file that contains a manifest (ActivityInfo.qml) a set of qml,
>javascript, image and audio file. They are then loaded by the GCompris
>binary at runtime. On Linux with the 79 activities the GCompris binary
>is only 300KB and we have 79 rcc for each activities that takes 19MB.
>BTW, these activity rcc could easily be distributed through a web server
>either for updates or for the initial version. We could bypass the 'slow
>update' cycle of linux distributions but this is another story.

You may be looking for.

http://api.kde.org/frameworks-api/frameworks5-apidocs/knewstuff/html/index.html

>You can take 'missing letter' as an example but I like this one which is
>more javascript than json:
>https://git-next.kde.org/kde/gcompris/blob/master/src/activities/memory-wordnumber/dataset.js

Thank you, if we get as far as integration of the library with gcompris
, then I will use memory-wordnumber as the test case.

>>> Some feedback on your proposal, I am confused by the 'confidence level'.
>>> If it is a student mark, it may not be desirable to put it in the
>>> dataset itself because it make sense to have it on a read only storage
>>> area (most distros will do that). On this topic at GCompris we are
>>> interested in a teacher specific tool to help them in their daily usage,
>>> we starting specifying it there :
>>> http://gcompris.net/wiki/Administration_design
>>>
>> I think Inge explained this elsewhere but I will elaborate. We plan to overlay
>> files to allow vocabulary building, lesson planning and training to be
>> separate stages. A single user might most conveniently use a monolithic file for all stages.
>> But in other contexts a student might reference read-only files for different sections
>> of the data. For example this overlay stack:
>>
>> (Words and Grammer) Read - Only, system file
>> (Course Plan) Read - Only, different source, perhaps teacher editable
>> (Student Goals and Training Data) Editable per user.
>>

>I share your concern here. It is true that it may be desirable to have a
>dataset with content, voices, images and a dataset with a course plan
>that references the data in the first one. Is this what you have in mind?

Yes.

For referencing content across multiple files, CoLa has already suggested ids of the form,
org.kde.edu.$COLLECTION.$UUID
Perhaps we could generalize them to,
org.kde.edu.$COLLECTION.$UUID to provide better orientation within the file.