Basic words in a new language

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Sun Aug 4 11:36:26 UTC 2013

Hi,

As some of you may know I am trying to learn to speak Thai right now.  I have
used a number of apps on my Android phone to learn the alphabet and to be able
to read. I also have some vocabulary (flashcard) apps that I downloaded for
free.  But to get from the starting point to the serious word lists I need to
pay for the full versions.

I have nothing against that in principle but I thought why not use the great
tools from KDE instead?  So I started to compile a list of the 500 most
important words that you need in order to function in a foreign society and be
able to comment on matters in your daily life.  I have attached a kvtml file
with the current selection of words.  I am working with my fiancee, who is
thai, to fill in the thai side of the file so don't comment on that (if you
don't want to add translations of course).

This list of words could also be used for other languages, perhaps with some
minor changes. For instance, Thai differs between "I" spoken as a male (phom)
and "I" spoken by anybody else (chan). Most other languages don't do that but
they have other peculiarities instead.

But I worry that I am missing some categories of words that are necessary,
such as common verbs or small interjections or things like that.  I would be
very grateful for feedback from people who have recently learnt a new
language.

I am aware that vocabulary alone is not enough and that you need grammar and
common phrases too.  But that is not the issue that I try to address with this
vocabulary file.  Maybe I should create one with phrases too which complements
the words alone.

When I am done with this, I will donate the file to KDE or upload it to GHNS
and continue with step 2, the next 500 words.

	-inge