[GSoC]Idea

miniBill cmt.minibill at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 18:05:41 UTC 2013

2013/4/9 Maurizio Paolini <paolini at dmf.unicatt.it>

> Actually, a 3D version of kig is in my opinion a completely
> different beast, which should be implemented as a completely
> different project (kig3d?) and starting more or less from
> scratch.  I wouldn't vote in favour of a modification of
> kig with builtin 3D capabilities, actually.

Well, it was just a wild fancy :)
Actually, it could be implemented as a different frontend
to the same underlying library, but this would be (if done)
a project for another time.

> On the contrary, implementing projective coordinates (with
> 3 homogeneous coordinates in place of the present 2) seems
> feasible.

I think it's feasible and beneficial.

On noneuclidean (2D) geometry I do not presently have a precise
> opinion, but I am a little bit uneasy on the matter.
> Of course it is already possible to implement hyperbolic
> geometry (e.g. Poincare' disk or Poincare' half-plane) as a
> model within euclidean geometry, implementing macros like
> "hyperbolic line", "hyperbolic segment" and the like.
> This works actually surprisingly well and I could provide details
> on it.

This could be a nice "warm up" before the main work.
Unfortunately I've never studied hyperbolic geometry,
but I guess that I could learn the basic ideas
needed to start implementing it fast.

I've given a quick look at the two Pointcaré models and the Klein one,
everyone has its upsides and downsides, but I wonder how
building a projective object would work.

If I understood correctly I should now look for a mentor and submit my
idea to the wiki, is this right?

Leonardo