[GSoC]Idea

Maurizio Paolini paolini at dmf.unicatt.it
Mon Apr 8 16:02:30 UTC 2013

Going from 2 to 3 coordinates is a big change, we need
a broad agreement before proceeding.

On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 05:50:24PM +0200, miniBill wrote:
> I think the 3 coordinates system is the best one for
> in memory representation, as it allows to write
> algorithms with no needs for special cases.
> On the other hand the .kig file format could
> keep using 2 coordinates for non-infinity points.

yes...

> Are you worried about reading "pre-projective" files
> or how a "pre-projective" kig would read the new ones?

Mostly the first.  The second would mostly be ok if we stick
to your assertion above, and anyway the scenario of an old
kig that opens a new save file seems less worrying.

> With regards to data size increase I don't really think
> that would be an issue unless the drawing becomes
> really complicated, and it would still "only" require
> 50% more memory.

However, do not forget that *very complicated* constructions are
possible using the "external" python scripting (pykig), like
fractals and iterative geometric constructions.  We cannot
just dismiss them.

Maurizio