KTouch

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 15 09:23:15 UTC 2012

On Friday, May 4, 2012 12:44:26 Laszlo Papp wrote:
> for me, qt desktop components is a better way to go even if it is a
> research project.

Qt Components and the Plasma variety are API compatible. that's not
accidental.

if the goal is to have something that is easily packaged on specific target
devices (N9, e.g.) then that is indeed a packaging and delivery issue and one
that needs attention. to just say "forget using KDE libraries" is the answer
also means "forget using everything useful in KDE libraries, rewriting it
ourselves and lose integration opportunities".

to be overly blunt about it, the N9 and friends family of devices are dead
ends; KDE's libraries are not. factor that into your decisions.

> Saying that "Plasma Components" are themable is
> overrated in this situation since it is not something I would do, plus

a) think about your users

b) the themability allows the same code to be run on different devices (that's
the real intent of that functionalit)

c) the themability extends beyond "changing the colours and the pixmaps" and
extends to device-appropriate functionality. have you seen, for instance, how
scrollbars behave on the Desktop and Touch implementations?

d) themability is by far and away not the only reason to use the components.
there are additional useful components included, integration with KDE library
functionality (usually transparently behind the scenes) and an active and open
development process that allows the components to grow alongside needs.

> even if this has the feature for that, it does not mean there is such
> a replacement for the desktop player style in any case.

there is exactly such a replacement.

first up .. if you use a Plasma Package to contain your QML, you can create
device-specific QML files and they are loaded as appropriate, transparently to
your application. so you can have a device UI and a desktop UI.

secondly, Plasma QML Components have Touch and Desktop implementations and
which version is used is done based on the device the application is running
on. the API is idetical for each, but the interaction and other aspects adjust
as neecessary.

so .. yes... it does this :)

if you have real world issues with Plasma QML Components, please bring them to
the plasma-devel mailing list. we are very interested in making them a
comprehensive and solid solution to the needs people working with QML have.
that's even more so the case as we are increasingly relying on them ourselves.

--
Aaron J. Seigo