KTouch

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Fri May 4 09:51:38 UTC 2012

https://qt.gitorious.org/qtplayground/qtdesktopcomponents

> All components live either in kde-libs or in kde-runtime, so their are no
> additional dependencies for KDE applications wanting to use them.

That is incorrect. The plasma components reside in kde-runtime. It is
an additional dependency for a kdelibs based application which is the
case with QtGui, KDE UI or qt desktop components.

> On top of that, they exist and they are maintained. Maintaining a complete
> widget set isn't a trivial task and our development resources are rather
> limited, so I would definitely try to reuse the existing code base.

You do not need. Take a look at the desktop components, plus this one:
http://codecereal.blogspot.com.br/2012/04/qml-themingstyling.html

> The only real argument I can think of against the usage of QML Plasma
> Components is that they have different look than the traditional QtWidgets.
> But as the Plasma Components are theme-able even this should be solvable.

So before dropping a frontend, why not create a theme-able frontend
for us then ?

> I think in the context of KTouch, which relies heavily on custom graphics,
> this is hardly a problem, or at least a rather small problem among lots of
> more important tasks, like the severe feature regressions, so I'm going to
> focus on these first.

Pretty please, do not force the users for using Plasma only,
especially if there are other alternatives existing I am happy with.

I am really worried about this Plasma enforcement in general. As for
me, it is scary to hear delete everything which is non-plasma...

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp