Google Summer of Code 2012 Ideas page

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Sat Mar 3 14:34:50 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 15:35, Alexander Rieder
<alexanderrieder at gmail.com> wrote:
> This would indeed be nice, and has been requested several times by users.
> But I have already been contacted by another student who wants to work on the
> worksheet interface for his summer of code project. He already has been
> working on cantor before and his idea would benefit all the available backends,
> so I promised him that I'd mentor it. So I'm not available to mentor this
> idea, but if anybody else wants to, it would be a welcome addition to Cantor.

Please do not promise students anything. It is bad for several reasons:
* We don't even know yet if KDE will be accepted as a mentoring org.
* If we are going to be accepted we don't yet know how many slots KDE
will get and how they will be distributed.
* We want as many excellent students to apply as possible. Everyone
has the same chances. We don't tell anyone no before Google announces
the official selection of students. Before that nothing is final.

Cheers
Lydia

KDE Community Working Group / KDE e.V. board member
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org