KDE Edu BoF

David Narvaez david.narvaez at computer.org
Wed Jul 11 03:31:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> Why? Maintainership also includes developing the software, if it's not the
> perfect software, at least..
>
> Aleix

It _also includes_ developing the software, but is not limited to
that. On one hand, had Akademy been one month before, you would have
seen some activity in the link above, and also the month before and so
on. Actually, my work on Kig for this month has not been committed
because I am out of my country and will hack on KDE once I get back
next week. On the  other hand, I would say other useful metrics
include activity in the bug reports: what's the average time between
report time and confirmation time for each bug (provided it is
confirmed), how many bugs have been closed lately (and that may mean
more than a month for projects without frequent bug reports), what's
the complexity of remaining open bugs, and how many open bugs are
already assigned and have comments from a developer; activity on the
ML: how many threads have been related to this project lately, how
many review requests, etc. Kig scores higher on all of those.

I wouldn't expect you to do all of that on a BoF, though - it requires
quite some time. But it would be interesting to develop tools to get
these metrics out of an arbitrary project whenever they are needed for
discussions like the one you had.

David E. Narvaez