New ideas to KGeography

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Thu Feb 16 13:15:14 UTC 2012

> Well honestly a lot of GSoC people do the work then they leave an by leaving
> they make me a sad person.
>
> I don't care if it's GSoC or not, the important thing is that it's someone who
> believes in the project past the initial rush. It's not about implementing a
> feature but doing some work and maintaining it over the years.

It varies a lot, I admit, but I think it is not that dramatic.
Otherwise KDE projects would not do it that much as it is currently
done. ;) We had distinct experience. The guy from the first GSoC, we
had, is still around in our project. He contributed continously and
next year as well, the following GSoC. Third year for him right now,
and he is still around for maintaining the bits. I read many
positive/negative stories. Too bad, you were on the negative side
then. :/

I personally experienced that as well so that skilled developers,
working in the software industry, have been busy with many other tasks
(company project, family, other hobbies, pastime projects and so
forth) to take yet another one with full responsibility. I do not
personally have any persistence where the volunteers come from. I am
equal to all of them. It is just yet another option for trying to find
someone. Just make sure, the goals are clear for the participants, and
get maintainable code. =)

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp