educational game based on marble

John Layt john at layt.net
Tue Feb 14 21:59:15 UTC 2012

On 10 February 2012 18:19, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> Have you tried KGeography?

On Friday 10 Feb 2012 10:51:00 Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> Did you already tried to read the sources to the Marble Application?

Hi,

An idea that's been kicking around for a while is to use Marble as a
replacement for KGegoraphy.  There's two possible approaches to take, either
an application that uses the Marble widget to display things, or plugins for
Marble that implement various educational activities.  Either would be good,
but I think the second is more flexible.

As a step towards this there is some work that needs doing, and that is the
vector map layer in Marble needs replacing.  There is a design for this at
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/NaturalEarth and was a GSoC task from
last year that wasn't taken up.  It may reappear this year.  Implementing this
vector layer as designed would allow the drawing and selecting of each
country, state or other feature as an individual item that would be useful for
a quiz like KGeography.

Tie into this some data sources such as the CIA World Fact Book and in the
future WikiData and you finally can have the full educational atlas and
educational tool we've been dreaming of.  I'm sure I did a write-up on this at
some stage but can't find it right now.

Anyway, the starting point for anyone interested is the Marble guys who would
love to hear from you.

Cheers!

John.