FSF in education

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Aug 8 11:00:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:03 AM, Marcelo Pires <marte032 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, okay? I am a student of mathematics, and would like to know your
> opinion about mathematics and software in the world. Here in Brazil, the
> government adopts free software in schools and universities, without the
> prospect of building its own technology. Use free software, only to be free,
> without a high cost to the government.
> I'm with a thesis project where I want to discuss mathematics and Free
> Software, as in fact be using free software in teaching basic math to higher
> mathematics.
>
> I await your response.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Att. Marcelo Pires da Silva

Hi Marcelo!
It's great that you're interested in this, mathematics, education and
free software is a huge subject.

In KDE Edu we have some pieces of software that fit your requirements.
Maybe Cantor like Tomaz said and also KAlgebra, Kmplot and if you look
a bit further in the future Khipu. Khipu is specially interesting
though, because it's specially aimed for teachers who want to teach
mathematics in class, using the computer. In this case, for displaying
wonderful plots.

Said that, it would be interesting if you take a look at what we've
done and kickstart a bit the discussion regarding the subjects that
concern you, I'm pretty sure it can be interesting for all of us!

Cheers!
Aleix