Google Code-In Translation for pykig.py

Maurizio Paolini paolini at dmf.unicatt.it
Sun Oct 30 10:48:30 UTC 2011

There is one "basic" point that needs to be clarified beforehand:
the "python scripting" provided by "pykig.py" is a completely
different thing with respect to the "kig python scripting" (the
one accessible with the "python script" button in kig).

Generally I refer to the former as "external python scripting" to
distinguish it from the latter.

I thing that we should think of some way to make this distinction more
obvious.

"external scripting" (privided by pykig.py) is similar to the
"Figure Scheme for DrGEO" (http://documentation.ofset.org/drgeo/it/drgenius_59.html,
I cannot find an english translation, sorry)
And it provides a way to build a construction using a python script instead
of the kig graphical interface.
This has a number of advantages, e.g. it allow to build very complex constructions
described by means of an iterative procedure: fractals are an example.

On the contrary the "internal python scripting" (the one associated with the
"python script" button, or the python script object, in the GUI) allows the construction
of a single object that has a complicated dependence from its parents.

The present reference in http://userbase.kde.org/Kig/FAQ actually points to the
"internal" python scripting, and similarly http://edu.kde.org/kig/manual/scripting-api/index.html
is the API of the "internal" python scripting.

Maurizio