Voice of Marble

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at basyskom.de
Thu Jun 16 14:55:26 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Thursday, 16. June 2011 12:53:06 Alexander Potashev wrote:
> 2011/6/16 Torsten Rahn <tackat at t-online.de>:
> > I'm not sure what you mean. There's a full list of strings available
> > here:
> > http://community.kde.org/Marble/VoiceOfMarble/Translations
>
> He probably meant that it would be better to have only whole sentences
> or larger parts of sentences in those strings.

Ideally yes. And that's why we avoid doing stuff like this with text strings.
However there are at least two reasons to do it differently in this particular
case:

- The string snippets chosen in this case are mostly the same ones used for
TomTom, (http://www.tomtom.com) so by "standardizing" on these it's possible
to exchange existing files easily.
- providing full sentences would require to record all possible combinations
which would add up to a hefty download for sound samples.

I agree that we need to put together possible combinations in use so that the
concatenation can be done properly and specific to each language.

Best Regards,
Torsten

--
Torsten Rahn
Senior Consultant

basysKom GmbH
Robert-Bosch-Str. 7 | 64293 Darmstadt | Germany
Tel: +49 6151 3969-961 | Fax: -736|
torsten.rahn at basyskom.de | www.basyskom.de

Handelsregister: Darmstadt HRB 9352
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Eva Brucherseifer