Cantor-SAGE: Display image

Martin Küttler martin.kuettler at gmx.de
Thu Jun 9 22:22:52 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 9:16 PM, Alexander Rieder
<alexanderrieder at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 8:29 PM, Uwe Fechner <u.fechner at tudelft.nl> wrote:
>>  Hello,
>>
>> my current idea:
>> Modify Cantor in such a way, that it also monitors the "current
>> directory" for new graphic
>> files, and displays them.
>>
> I don't really like the idea, as I can see it lead to very unexpected
> behaviour, for example if you start cantor from your home,
> and are downloading some files at the same time. Every image you save
> while cantor is running popping up in your worksheet
> is not something an average user(or anybody else) would expect.
>
> I basically see three possibilities to fix your problem:
> - add a new type of worksheet entry that lets you insert any image
> files you want/modify the Richtext Entry
> - add some regexp magic that detects if the command you run is saving
> an image, and insert it as a result to that command (possibly hard to
> get right)
> - add a custom command e.g. cantor_display("imagefile"), that adds the
> image as a result

I am currently working on the first solution, and I think I can upload
some working code rather soon. I fear it's not going to be as nice
under the hood as I'd like it to be, but then again there is some time
until the code freeze is over, anyway :)

Best regards,
Martin Küttler