Future of KTouch

Peter Rüthemann peter.ruethemann at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 13:59:15 CEST 2011

Hello everyone

Some may have noticed that I did some minor contributions to KTouch in
the last few weeks. So, I think it’s time to introduce myself.

My name is Peter and I’m living in the German speaking part of
Switzerland. I did my master degree in biochemistry at the University
of Zurich and I’m working now in a pharmaceutical company. So actually
I don’t have much experience with coding. But I was always interested
in software development and because I’m a KDE user since 2006, I
decided to contribute to this project. I started in the German
translation team, where I’m still active and continued with KTouch.

KTouch has some really annoying, but really easy to fix, bugs. I fixed
some of those and I think KTouch is now already a bit user friendlier.

For KDE 4.8 I would like to introduce some new features. Some of them
are actually already implemented but they just don’t work (maybe due
to the transition from KDE 3 to 4). These are my primary ideas:

1.	Better connection between keyboard and lecture files. (If you load
for example an ergonomic keyboard the corresponding lecture should
open as well)
2.	Group the keyboard and lecture files in subfolders according to
their language. (A normal user is mainly only interested in one or two
languages but not all)
3.	It should be easier for beginners which have never used a keyboard
before. (At the moment KTouch opens a default lecture. The default
lecture is used as a manual for KTouch)
4.	Statistics: End of lecture statistics / Possibility to save statistic
5.	Design: KTouch looks very old fashioned. (However, I’m not a designer)

I just want to know what you think of it. Is there anything I should
consider or do you have some ideas? Do you know if the former
developers of KTouch are still active?

Thank you

Peter