[kde-edu]: Re: KDE edu in schools

Thomas Thym ungethym at mevin.net
Sat Jan 8 15:21:25 CET 2011

Hi Martijn,

sorry for my late response.

I am not a member of the core kde edu team (yet) but I promote KDE at various places in Switzerland, Austria and Germany. In Nov. we were in Austria where the Linux Day took place in a school. We had a couple very interesting conversations with students, parents and teachers. My impression is, that they are really open for our software. "This way education really is fun." was one of the statements of a girl.
KDE (software and community) has something really valuable to offer for schools and their students. Although there might be room for improvement.

During those events I meet the team from desktop4education / server4education project from Austria. The project was started by a teacher and 2 of his students and now is heavily sponsored by their government. With their software (a distribution based on openSUSE) a school could install desktops for classrooms and various completely configured servers (e-mail, cms, databases, moodle etc.) with 3 (desktop) or 5 questions (server). More information (in German) on their website: http://d4e.at/ I am sure Helmut (helmuth at d4e.at) will be pleased to answer your questions.

I like your intention and your work towards pushing open source software in education and I think we should all work together to get this done. If there is something we or in person I could do let us/me know an keep us/me informed about that important project.

Keep on rocking!

Cheers,
Thomas