Research on the Memory game

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Thu Aug 25 18:53:04 UTC 2011

On Thu August 25 2011 18:58:55 John Layt wrote:

Hi,

> After messing around with my new Plasma Active tablet for a bit, especially
> the KDE games and edu,  and having previously observed how easily my 5 year
> old nephews took to using touchscreens (Angry Birds!), I think the one
> interface should be used for both.   I think the ux restrictions enforced
> by a touchscreen app are a good fit for young children by simplyfying the
> interface and making options visible and easily manipulated.  A 5 year-old
> may not recognise what the word 'Reset' means or know to navigate a
> pull-down or right-click menu to find what they want, but will quickly
> learn that clicking on that circular arrow picture with a mouse or their
> finger will do what they want.
yes. Tablets are baby-sitters for kids!
> Multi-player is a must for me, my twin nephews usually fight over who gets
> to play any computer game, so something they can sit around and play
> together on a tablet would be great.  And it would save me having to lay
> out all those cards on the floor too :-)
lol yes I do think multi player is a nice feature
> I like the ui maximising the usable space, widescreens are standard these
> days.  The items/text in the layout sections should rotate, but the
> sections themselves can stay in their relative positions.
>
> Blinken and Kanagram are good examples to follow, everything needed in the
> main window and able to be directly manipulated.  Just a shame the virtual
> keyboard covers the Kanagram text entry box.
Yes the On Screen Keyboard is not convenient for inputing letters in kids
apps. For Kanagram as the input letters are those of the word they could be
like icons and the user will slide them to form the word (not sure I explain
this well..) For KHangMan and KLettres it's more tricky.

> Just my 2c in passing.
Thanks a lot, that's the sort of input I expect!

Anne-Marie