[kde-edu]: Re: [GSOC] How to submit my own ideas

Laurent G. lauranger at free.fr
Sun Apr 3 22:51:32 CEST 2011

Hi Virtosu, hi all,

I am Laurent Garnier, a somewhat co-maintainer of KGeography.
In fact, I just contributed maps and corrected one or two bugs.

I have crafted some more maps : http://lauranger.free.fr/kgeomapp/
with plugins I wrote to the gimp.
I had ideas to enhance KGeography, but I did not take time (or so
little) to do so.

Among available maps, there is one example of non-administrative map
http://lauranger.free.fr/kgeomapp/?divi=waters_world-class&name=Waters%C2%A0%28world-class%29
but we got no real return about such maps, neither positive nor
negative. So I guess it is not a high priority. And furthermore I hardly
see crafting maps as a subject for a GSoC ;-)

I tried to bring a kind of consistency between the maps I contributed,
with lines width that are OK for "Placing parts" activity and each time
same colors for frontiers, water and zones out of scope. Don't know if
it fits your taste (and users'). But if so, the code in my two plugins
could help writing the editing part. But, to my sense, this too is
secondary, as not many users want to craft their own map.

For point 3, I can not remember of which tracker entry you are refering to.

Point 4 seems more interesting, but may be the extension should not be
limited to history. In my home try to implements such a thing, I used
main cities, rivers, mountain ranges and ... cheeses /o\ One problem I
encountered with this try has to do with translations. I fear it might
not be easy to phrase built sentences in all languages.

Point 5 & 6 are more Web/mobile, I guess there are examples for that.

Hope it gives grain to grind

Laurent G.