[kde-edu]: [gcompris-devel] New activity, the hangman

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Fri Sep 24 01:23:20 CEST 2010

Le dimanche 29 août 2010 à 15:00 +0200, Bruno Coudoin a écrit :
> At the time our projects started there was nothing on the web,
> especially with a free software license attached. Now thinks have
> changed, there are a lot of free contents. For example, we could extract
> the relevant data we are interested in from Wikipedia to base our list
> on. This option is especially appealing, I don't know if this is true
> for all languages but for French Wiktionary there is the word type,
> definition and also have the spoken version of the word. Having this
> data would bring a lot of new possible activities in GCompris.

Some feedback on this topic. I started to create a tool to extract an
transform wikitext formatted word definitions from Wiktionary to
structured XML (HTML for now).

I created a page here to summarize my work in progress. For now I only
worked on the French dictionary.
http://gcompris.net/wiki/Wiktionary_to_XML

Sadly, it will not be straightforward to port it to other wiktionary
versions. More, this require a good understanding of the language
because we risk keeping text not appropriate for children.

I continue to work on this but I don't know yet if I can really come up
with something good enough to be integrated in GCompris.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net  Free educational software for kids