[kde-edu]: Practice with Parley 0.9.4

José Troncoso jstroncoso at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 11:14:03 CEST 2010

Hi Frederik,

Thanks for listening to my suggestions. As you seem to like having feedback on
the new 0.9.5 version, I've spent some time trying out all the practice
options, not just the ones I normally use.

On Saturday 04 September 2010 12:52:41 Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> Hi José,
>
> thanks for your feedback, this is really helpful to improve Parley.
>
> On Friday 03 September 2010 20:05:57 José Troncoso wrote:
> > First of all, I'd like to thank the developers for their great work on
> > such a useful application as Parley. Now, there have been a few changes
> > in they way practice is implemented in version 0.9.4 which I'd like to
> > comment on.
> >
> > First, the missing paraphrase practice, which I hope is only temporary,
> > as I find it most convenient for advanced learners. Indeed, literal word
> > translation is very often misleading, so advanced learners often need to
> > learn new words by means of a paraphrase. That's why I think that the
> > paraphrase practice shouldn't be left out.
>
> Good to hear this is actually used. We discussed a lot about this and found
> nobody that said he or she used the paraphrase practice. It will be back in
> KDE 4.6 then.

Thank you. I think it's a very useful feature and it shouldn't be a problem to
keep it.

> > Second, regarding the example paraphrase, I find it confusing having to
> > select practice in L1 to practise examples in L2. For example, I have a
> > file with words, paraphrases and examples in English and occasional
> > translations in Spanish, and I find it confusing having to select Spanish
> > to pratise the examples in English.
>
> I agree. We would like to have a certain consistency... so you always
> practice the language that is on the right such as "Spanish to English" in
> the list. I wonder what the best way would be.
> Another question is whether we should also display the translation of the
> word when practicing example sentences. I'm not sure about that.

Now I get it. If the target language in the one on the right, then it makes
sense to set up the example training as it is now. And I think it would be
nice to have the translation displayed below the example, much in the same way
as the phonetic transcription is now displayed in the mixed letters or written
practice types. Another possibility is to implement translation display in
example training as an optional feature which can be selected on the Advanced
Practice Settings dialog.

> > That's it. I hope you'll find my comments helpful. Thanks a lot.
>
> Yes, since this is the first version after major changes, I'm very keen on
> feedback :)

Here's some more. There might be something wrong with the multiple choice
practice, as the option to use choices of the same word type doesn't seem to
work properly. On the whole, I think that the new version is a very nice
improvement on the previous one. Thank you for your great work.

Cheers,
José