[kde-edu]: Re: Split out "kvocabedit" from Kanagram?

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Sat Nov 27 21:31:09 CET 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Gordon Schumacher <whiplash at pobox.com>wrote:

> I need to preface all this by saying that I'm a long-time KDE user and
> Qt developer, but am new to KDE development, so please bear with me :)
>
> So, I'm home-schooling my eight-year-old son, and have been using
> KHangman and Kanagram to do spelling words with him (to great success -
> he's much more willing to do anything that's in the form of a game!)
>
> I was considering the idea of splitting out the vocabulary editor into
> its own application.  First, it took me a fair bit of digging to figure
> out how to do the custom vocabs in the first place.  I found many
> tutorials on how to hand-write a kvtml file, but the format they
> indicated was wrong (perhaps they were for an older version?)  It then
> took me a fair bit to discover that the editor was actually part of
> Kanagram.
>
> I was visualizing something vaguely similar to Qt Linguist, in that you
> could open one or more vocab files, select one or more languages for it,
> and then enter the words and clues.  Again similarly to Linguist, the
> ability to import "foreign" formats would be nice.  (IIRC KHangman can
> already do this, but Kanagram can't - and neither can then save back out
> as kvtml.)
>
> Whether it gets split into its own application or not, it might be
> reasonable to offer the actual functionality as either a library or a
> custom widget; that way it could easily be used either way.
>
> What do you think?

I have considered that before actually, but really that's one of the
purposes of the Parley application.  Parley can import many vocabulary
formats and can save out kvtml files.  If we need something simpler maybe we
can possibly move the kanagram vocab editor into a library and have an
application that just launches that.  I believe Parley should be adequate
though.

thanks,
Jeremy Whiting